Old 04-12-2012, 10:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default request to identify this plant

"The Original Jake" wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:18:17 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I saw a photo of a Liriope with one flower open and it had long
stamens. But there are so few photos like that, it's impossible to be
sure. Also whatever this is, it seems to have strongly reflexed petals
as well. Kay is, of course, quite right that it can't be Spiranthes.
I had never heard of that before and must have seen something on the
same page but got the wrong name.

Grasping at straws a bit but something is saying hedychium to me.
Young plant, not yet formed a tuber. When everything else is ruled
out, the impossible becomes possible.

Cheers, Jake

Flower structure is wrong, but I can see what you mean about the roots, I
don't grow any orchids but don't they have similar roots?