Old 04-12-2012, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default request to identify this plant

"jim west" wrote
Thanks to all for your efforts. The most i have been able to find out is
that it comes from a sub-tropical region in south east Asia.

We now have one piece in a pot (using granulated bonzai soil with gravel
for drainage at the bottome of the pot) on a south facing window indoors
(London) and one on an east facing window using the same bonzai soil.

Also one standing in water (we have very low chlorine count in the tap
water here) indoors on the south facing window. How often should we change
the tapwater in the glass vase please?

If no-one is readily able to identify it, and it might be a rarity should i
consider offering a piece to somewhere like Kew Gardens or similar? I guess
they get fed up with people offering them this and that.

Based on what type you are guessing it might be, we would be grateful for
any pointers in its care. i.e. left in water, in sunlight or shade etc etc.

Those roots are so like a cymbidium orchid that I'm wondering if it's come
from a similar habitat, that is it's epiphytic. In which case bonsai soil is
totally wrong and it needs a very open mossy tree stump type compost just
like a cymbidium would.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.