Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod[_5_] Rod[_5_] is offline

Default Can anybody identify this tree please

On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 16:42:58 UTC, neil wrote:
Hi folks,

I realise this isn't a botanical group but I also know from years of

visiting here, there must be somebody (possibly many) who will be able to

help.

We have a friend who has a tree in their garden - seems to be a broad leaf

tree and it is currently (December - North Scotland) fully green with loads

of red berries. I've been googling but still don't know what tree it is.

I've placed a couple of photographs here

http://www.pages-uk.com/tree/

If anybody could identify it we would be very grateful.

Neil

It's a Cotoneaster. They are notorious for hybridising amongst themselves so naming is a bit of a minefield. The braver posters have got about as near as you can without an expert taxonomist to examinine the tree.

Rod