Old 05-12-2012, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
neil neil is offline

Default Can anybody identify this tree please

"Rod" wrote in message

On Wednesday, 5 December 2012 16:42:58 UTC, neil wrote:
Hi folks,

I realise this isn't a botanical group but I also know from years of

visiting here, there must be somebody (possibly many) who will be able to

help.

We have a friend who has a tree in their garden - seems to be a broad leaf

tree and it is currently (December - North Scotland) fully green with
loads

of red berries. I've been googling but still don't know what tree it is.

I've placed a couple of photographs here

http://www.pages-uk.com/tree/

If anybody could identify it we would be very grateful.

Neil

It's a Cotoneaster. They are notorious for hybridising amongst themselves
so naming is a bit of a minefield. The braver posters have got about as
near as you can without an expert taxonomist to examinine the tree.

Rod

Excellent! Thanks to everybody who replied. Cotoneaster is good enough for
us. We were surprised to see what looks like a deciduous tree, having a
full cloak of green leaves and a very healthy covering of red berries in the
middle of December, so we just had to find out what it was.

Again many thanks,
Neil