Old 06-12-2012, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Can anybody identify this tree please

"The Original Jake" wrote in message
On Wed, 5 Dec 2012 23:08:31 +0000, Sacha wrote:

There's a very pretty little one grown as a
weeping standard on a grass verge opposite Dartington Cider Press. I
don't know which it is but that thing of growing with a trunk is very
attractive, imo.

Search on "cotoneaster hybrida pendula" which is a nice little
"weeping standard". It's a variety that isn't listed in S9 of the WCA.
Eventual height and spread both 2 metres. It's hardy and, in the right
conditions, evergreen. I'm aiming to plant one in the spring to
replace a Kilmarnock willow that expired.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Kilmarnock Willow? We gave up on ours, two of them, ages ago. Too shallow
rooted and we had to stake them to stop them falling over. Stake them with
scaffold poles!!!! Daughter and Son in Law have the same problem with theirs
and no way would they stake with scaffold poles in a couple of acres of
landscaped gardens. Our postage stamp gardens are a different kettle of fish

Mike