Old 07-12-2012, 05:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Permanent Digital Moisture Meter for Plants

W wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
W wrote:
Does anyone make a digital meter that can be left in a small plant
and show the water saturation of the soil around the roots 24x7?
I have played with the "Thirsty Light" and find it to be inaccurate
and toyish:

http://www.amazon.com/Thirsty-Light-...rometer+plants

I find plant moisture meters, but they are intended for occasional
use, not designed to be left in the plant all the time.

I am imaging something that looks like Thirsty Light, but simply
reflects a number 0 to 100% (or whatever scale is most meaningful)
to reflect current water saturation at the depth the probe has been
inserted. Then you can on an ongoing basis try to target
particular saturation levels.

Such are used in agriculture, for example by orchardists to
continuously monitor soil moisture. Some have radio links to a
computer that records the data (along with weather observations
etc). This can be as sophisticated as you like if you have the
money.

Any specific manufacturers or models to recommend?

i don't use them and the chances are I am half a world away so retailers
will not be relevant.