Old 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Hill David Hill is offline

Default bare root planting delays

On 07/12/2012 12:27, Emery Davis wrote:
Does anyone have an idea about how long I can go safely before planting
bare root trees? Normally I bung them in as right away, but the snow
and frozen ground are preventing me at the minute.

I expect it may depend somewhat on species, these are a pterocarya
fraxinifolia and a sycamore atropurpureum, both about 4m.

They were dug up yesterday (Thurs) morning at the nursery, I've put them
in a shed to keep the roots from freezing.

cheers,

-E

In the "Old days" they would be put in a shed and covered with old sacks
till you could get them in