Old 09-12-2012, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Herbs & spices

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html
This useful link was just published in the bread group and I thought
it
would be interesting to some here.
Graham

Thanks, Graham! ;-)

Sorry - I hit 'send' too quickly. I was wondering how many urglers are
already growing some of the things on this list. I mean, we probably
all know that ramsons grow wild and were one of the 'fashionable'
ingredients in many chef's dishes earlier this year, but who knew it as
Bear's Garlic. What a lovely name! Some things we can never grow
because of lack of heat and sun hours but there are probably quite a
few that will grow here. Some years ago, during the televising of
Chelsea, Istr a segment of the programme devoted to people with
allotments in London and many were growing rather exotic herbs and veg.

Sacha, please have a look at this, probably not what you mean, but I
think
its relevent, in an historic way.

http://tinyurl.com/c3pr9zv

Baz

Thanks so much, Baz. You have no idea how relevant this is! I shall print
it off and give it to Raymond, along with the DVD of the series which he
asked for for Christmas! I don't know how I missed it but I've never seen
it, so we're both going to enjoy that. When he was a young man, just
starting in horticulture, someone told Ray always to listen when 'the old
boys' started talking. Whoever told him that said "you'll get a lot of
reminiscence and waffle but every so often a real gem of information will
come your way". Raymond was 16 when he started in 1949 and he has always
found that to be true and even though he's now one of 'the old boys', says
he can still learn plenty from others who have been around as long, or
just a bit longer than him.
--
Sacha

Sooooooooooooooooo true. One of my illustrated talks that I give to groups
and Associations around the Isle of Wight is 'Food Rationing in World War
II' and they are usually to groups who like me, remember the situation at
the time, and, as you say, I can learn something every time I give one and
I try to incorporate it into any future talks. Just been out to the
Christmas Dinner with a completely non related group and one of the audience
of my last talk was there adding to the snippets of information.

Mike