Old 09-12-2012, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_6_] Baz[_6_] is offline

Default Herbs & spices

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-12-09 12:12:18 +0000, Baz said:

Sacha wrote in
:

On 2012-12-09 00:03:33 +0000, "graham" said:

http://gernot-katzers-spice-pages.com/engl/index.html
This useful link was just published in the bread group and I
thought it would be interesting to some here.
Graham

Thanks, Graham! ;-)

Sorry - I hit 'send' too quickly. I was wondering how many urglers
are already growing some of the things on this list. I mean, we
probably all know that ramsons grow wild and were one of the
'fashionable' ingredients in many chef's dishes earlier this year,
but who knew it as Bear's Garlic. What a lovely name! Some things
we can never grow because of lack of heat and sun hours but there
are probably quite a few that will grow here. Some years ago,
during the televising of Chelsea, Istr a segment of the programme
devoted to people with allotments in London and many were growing
rather exotic herbs and veg.

Sacha, please have a look at this, probably not what you mean, but I
think its relevent, in an historic way.

http://tinyurl.com/c3pr9zv

Baz

Thanks so much, Baz. You have no idea how relevant this is! I shall
print it off and give it to Raymond, along with the DVD of the series
which he asked for for Christmas! I don't know how I missed it but
I've never seen it, so we're both going to enjoy that. When he was a
young man, just starting in horticulture, someone told Ray always to
listen when 'the old boys' started talking. Whoever told him that said
"you'll get a lot of reminiscence and waffle but every so often a real
gem of information will come your way". Raymond was 16 when he
started in 1949 and he has always found that to be true and even
though he's now one of 'the old boys', says he can still learn plenty
from others who have been around as long, or just a bit longer than
him.

I am thrilled to bits that you lke it. I have the dvd's and I think
they are wonderful.

Baz