Old 10-12-2012, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Bird feeding

On 2012-12-10 16:37:06 +0000, Broadback said:

Mine are eating the seed too fast, I will be broke by Christmas. I have
put them a sign up asking them to ration themselves,

We can't believe how much they're getting through! Every feeder is
re-filled every day and if I scatter a few peanuts onto garden tables,
the pigeons are very grateful. We've got jays coming in to join the
feeding frenzy for the first time, too.

That's interesting ,We have had a Jay visit a couple of times as well
and it hasn't happened before.
I was going to see if there was any issue with their regular food
supply anyway so just had a quick whizz around on the interweb and
found this article from back in October.
http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...e-8200375.html
So that looks like another to beak feed.
Just placed an order with our village Bird food cooperative.The
supplier who already has fairly competitive prices gives some more
discount if a few of us get together and order together similar to how
some people purchase their heating oil.
Still almost a 3 figure sum but should meet some needs to Spring.
It is difficult deciding though how much to put out though as the more
you do then more seem to arrive to feed so some rationing is needed
IMHO.
The alternative could be a sudden cut off which if lots have got
dependent would be cruel. My Mother now a widow whose income has
dropped has decided just to hang up fatballs this year as she can't
afford large quantities of seed and doesn't want to start something
she can't keep up.

G.Harman