Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Adjusting the pH of soil.

Peter Jason wrote:
I have a plant that likes a pH of 5.5.

Can I just use a potassium phosphate buffer
adjusted to this value to water the plant with?

Peter

My TOTH answer is probably not as buffer solutions are designed to hold pH
steady not to alter it but it might do some good depending on the situation.
I am guessing that you want to lower the pH in which case the traditional
method is to add elemental sulphur and wait.

What exactly is the content of this buffer solution? What is the pH of the
soil now? How much soil do you want to amend? What is the soil like, as in
how much clay and organic material is there compared to sand and grit?

David