Old 11-12-2012, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Adjusting the pH of soil.

On 12/10/12 8:28 PM, Peter Jason wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 13:54:39 +1100, "David
Hare-Scott" wrote:

Peter Jason wrote:
I have a plant that likes a pH of 5.5.

Can I just use a potassium phosphate buffer
adjusted to this value to water the plant with?

Peter

My TOTH answer is probably not as buffer solutions are designed to hold pH
steady not to alter it but it might do some good depending on the situation.
I am guessing that you want to lower the pH in which case the traditional
method is to add elemental sulphur and wait.

What exactly is the content of this buffer solution? What is the pH of the
soil now? How much soil do you want to amend? What is the soil like, as in
how much clay and organic material is there compared to sand and grit?

David

I have one of these
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wo...bilis_fg03.JPG
that is doing rather well in a large pot, but it
will need transplanting out next season.
I mix my soil 50:50 from two types; an industrial
heavy clay from a dirt road that has been sloughed
up by large turning trucks (easy to dig), and the
usual sandy stuff collected from the roof
guttering and yard sweepings.

I fertilize with cow & chicken manure.

I could make & adjust the buffer from KOH & Phos
Acid with a pH meter, and I have some flowers of
sulfur. How does one test the pH of soil?

There are a number of test kits available at nurseries. If you are in
the U.S., you might be able to get a complete soil analysis -- pH and
nutrients -- from your local agricultural extension service.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see