Old 28-02-2003, 12:58 AM
Elpaninaro

Default To all Paph sanderianum growers

After reading all these posts about Paph sanderianum it sounds like it's
impossible to grow?

I have some crosses with sanderianum in the heritage but no species of it.
I've been fixated on roths and never really looked at the sanderianums.

What makes this so challenging to grow?

Trying to learn more,
Gene

Gene- From what I have been told here and elsewhere, sanderianum is not exactly
terribly difficult to grow.

But think about the obsession like this. When you pay $20 for a compot of
Phals, losing a few is no big deal. But when you spend $400 on a flask with 25
seedlings in it and pay for all the extra stuff to give the plants their due...

It is freaky. think of it like taking 5 small compots and put five $10 bills in
each pot. Now you have to make sure that 6 months from now all those $10 bills
are still there- because by then to replace them you will need $100 bills

I am not terribly intimidated by all this, rather I am thinking retention. I
fully intend to continue having my orchid hobby support itself, so out of a
flask of sanderianums I want to have enough to grow to maturity as well as 5-6
to sell in a couple of years to recoup my costs.

Tom.