Old 24-04-2003, 04:44 AM

Default Black Walnut Tree Question

Ahh, but those are English, not black walnuts.

A good, old black walnut used to have value. not so much anymore.
dealers are leary of trees that may have (likely have) nails and such
embedded in the wood. But English walnuts (_Juglans regia_, the kind
you eat, and what makes up what's left of the Lake county walnut
orchards) are not nor have they ever been valued for timber. Now they
are less and less valued for nuts, espcially in a place like Lake
county where wine grapes are fetching terrific prices.