Old 13-12-2012, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Farmyard Manure

Thank you for your concern Baz but I am not daft enough to put my horses in
any danger. The shavings come from - as Sacha says- a trusted source and are
prepared for horses. I can open a bale and put down a bed and there is no
dust at all, one of my pets likes nothing better than to put her own bed
down, I open a bale and leave it to her, she jumps around on top of it
having great fun, no dust at all in the air and certainly no sawdust :-)
kate

One reason that springs to mind is that is that in some cases preservatives
are added to the timber, such as Tanalising which contains 'Tanalith E'.
You don't want that in your stable! Copper, Chrome and Arsenic are in that
chemical compound.
It might rot down harmlessly, I don't know.
Just a warning of what MIGHT be in those 'shavings' or sawdust.(the sawdust
will contaminate the shavings)
Baz