Old 13-12-2012, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RG[_2_] RG[_2_] is offline

Default OT wireless question

Hello Charlie. I remember your thick walls!

Just to be clear, I understand from what you are saying that you have a
router in your office and have run a cable from one of its wired ports
into the kitchen.

If that's correct then all you need to do is get a second wireless router,
sited in the office and feed it with the extension cable. You will need a
power supply but I'm sure you can arrange that in the kitchen. You can run
it on the same channel as the main one or use a different channel - there
are props and cons for each.

It's possible to avoid the power supply altogether by using a POE (power
over ethernet) router but this might not be compatible with the existing
one.

RG

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 09:03:14 -0000, Charlie Pridham
wrote:

I have a problem with wireless devices in the house due to extremely
thick stone walls, knowing this I laid a cable through to the kitchen
when doing work on that recently to give us broadband access in there
and that works fine if we use an Ethernet cable to connect.

Question; is there anything I can plug into that Ethernet switch box
which would give me a wireless signal at that end?

I can't use the gizmos that plug in at either end and use the house
wiring as the kitchen has a differrent circuit and indeed fuse box to
the rest of the house.

I know there would be dedicated groups out there but I have learnt to
trust some of the posters here (and I may not understand the answer on a
more techy site!)