Old 13-12-2012, 02:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RG[_2_] RG[_2_] is offline

Default OT wireless question

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:05:02 -0000, wrote:

In article op.wo87wytygkcl5l@home1, RG wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:21:26 -0000, wrote:
In article ,
Emery Davis wrote:

It's likely to be a bit beyond most local suppliers, so the easiest
way would be to try and contact the networking people at some
local organisation (e.g. university, some of the largest schools)
and pay them for a little outside work.

It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes for someone who knows what
they're about.

That will depend on how the house connection has been set up by
the broadband provider and/or primary modem, which is why I was
being a bit cautious. In particular, if you want to use TWO
devices using the same wireless point, things are likely to get
'interesting'. While I could almost certainly do that eventually,
it might cause me quite a lot of trouble.

Depends what you mean by 'two devices'

If you mean two PCs, phones etc using the same wireless point (router
channel), then no problem at all. They will share the available
bandwidth.
In this house we have two PC's, two phones and an pad all sharing a WAP.

That's easy, and not relevant. The point is that the kitchen wireless
router is attached to a single port on the office router, which then
talks to the outside world. If you have two devices on the kitchen
router, you will have two Internet addresses that then filter through
a single one. Depending on the details of the setup, this may or may
not be possible. Indeed, there might be problems even if the kitchen
router assigns Internet addresses to the wireless devices used in the
kitchen.

I last did serious network administration before VLANs became a
mainstream technology, but they are a (non-trivial) solution. It
should be easy with the RIGHT combination of devices and setup without
VLANs, but could be impossible with some combinations. It will depend
a great deal on the office router's attitude to packet filtering and
default routing.

It doesn't need to be that difficult Nick.
Provided the DHCP settings are correct, the main router will assign local
addresses for all devices on the network, even those connected to the
second router.
We actually do this here - to provide good WiFi coverage on two floors and
in the garden, the main router and its WiFi serves one area, and a cable
feeds to a second WiFi router that extends the radio coverage.
All IP addresses are assigned dynamically by the cable modem/router.

As I understand Charlie's requirement, it is exactly the same.