Old 13-12-2012, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT wireless question

"Baz" wrote in message
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

I have a problem with wireless devices in the house due to extremely
thick stone walls, knowing this I laid a cable through to the kitchen
when doing work on that recently to give us broadband access in there
and that works fine if we use an Ethernet cable to connect.

Question; is there anything I can plug into that Ethernet switch box
which would give me a wireless signal at that end?

I can't use the gizmos that plug in at either end and use the house
wiring as the kitchen has a differrent circuit and indeed fuse box to
the rest of the house.

I know there would be dedicated groups out there but I have learnt to
trust some of the posters here (and I may not understand the answer on
a more techy site!)

Do you have a wireless router installed? If not I think you need one. A
godsend. Tricky to set up with passwords so nobody in your street can
access your connection. A local computer shop will reccommend a local tech
to do it for you. Probably cost £30-40.

Baz

Yes we have fiber optic broadband and a BT wireless router, but the signal
will only reach the room its in and the one above because of the walls, we
get no mobile phone signal either! Kitchen is some distance away and the
signal has to pass through 3 walls each 3' thick stone, hence running an
Ethernet cable.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs