Old 13-12-2012, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default OT wireless question

"Charlie Pridham" wrote

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , writes
It's likely to be a bit beyond most local suppliers, so the easiest
way would be to try and contact the networking people at some
local organisation

Surely not Nick

Charlie just has to get a Devolo lan set. i got one last week, albeit
with wires on but you can pay more for the wireless ones.
You plug one end into the router, and the plug into the wall. Then you
take the other plug and wire and plug that into a socket and the back of
your TV or laptop etc. It's using the electric circuits to channel the
signal.
The wireless version just plugs in behind the router and into the wall
and the other one goes wherever you like in the house.

Would that this house was that simple! I am aware of these, I think Mike
suggested them in the first place but I am not convinced it would work here
as the Kitchen and house are not on a common system.

The discussion was starting to get a bit technical but it sounds as if some
readers have done what I am wanting to do

Just spoken to a computer expert I know, who runs the servers for a large
international company, because I remember that he had the same problem after
his house was renovated and doubled in size. Turns out the builders used
some metal clad insulation in the walls which stopped the signals. Anyway he
used these plug in adapters and he tells me they even work in one part of
his house that is on a separate circuit. These would give you coverage
anywhere in your house not just the kitchen but they aren't cheap.
http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/82_...on_1.html?l=en

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup