Old 13-12-2012, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT wireless question

In article o.uk,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 14:58:38 -0000, RG wrote:

And what if the office router insists on a single Ethernet wire having
a single Internet address?

I have not found a modern one that does.

Nor me the switches in domestic kit are unmanaged so there is no way to
lock down a given ethernet port to a given MAC address let alone a IP
one.

Sigh. This will be my last post on this, though Charlie is welcome
to Email me directly. That's not the only aspect.

Yes, you can get pure access points, but most people (including
local suppliers) will not know the difference between access
points and routers. With a router, you need to disable DHCP,
but that is not all; you also need to pass the DNS requests on
up and so on. Lastly, DHCP is a broadcast function - do all of
those routers pass broadcasts up to their Internet connection?
I don't know, and all evidence from postings here is that nobody
else does, either - but at least I know that I don't know.

My point is that it will PROBABLY work in a simple fashion,
but that that someone with reasonable clue MAY be needed to do
the configuration, and even then certain combinations of router
may not work at all. Yes, it can be done - but can you guarantee
that a non-computer person (or even averagely clueless local
supplier) can make it work with an arbitrary two routers?

I have been in a situation where I couldn't configure a router
without Internet access, and I couldn't enable Internet access
without configuring the router. I resolved it, but (without
being offensive) neither Charlie nor the average local supplier
would be able to. I wasn't able to do it by skill - luck was
more important (i.e. I had a previous connection and router
and could get there, step by step).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.