Old 14-12-2012, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default OT wireless question

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:10:49 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 17:03:55 -0000, Charlie Pridham wrote:

The OP just needs a wireless access point, I see e_Buyer have
something for £9.99:

http://www.ebuyer.com/169923-tenda-w...-access-point-
router-extender-w311r-

Don't know anything about it but seems to get good reviews.

Can it really be that simple!! I hope so

Just plug the AP in (power and your ethernet cable into the WAN port),
find its IP address, enter that into a web browser on computer on the
LAN, login with the defaults from the manual, change the login password
(don't forget it!), configure its SSID and wireless security settings,
check that its DHCP *server* is disabled and that should be it.

The hard bit is probably finding out what IP address the AP has been
allocated. I don't do windows so not sure what tools that has, looking in
the DHCP table of your router will probably give you enough to at least
guess it.

As to the device I found above I *really* do not know anything about it,
the price is what grabbed my eye.

Reading all the posts, I think some may be confusing a "wireless
extender" and a "router". The setup of both is relatively
straightforward but in the case of a router, aside from a couple of
simple essentials, there are a number of issues which can degrade
performance if they aren't done properly. Nick has referred to some of
these. Often, in a domestic environment, people don't realise that
with a couple of simple tweaks they could get a bit more speed for
example.

If Charlie has a BTHomeHub3, then, for example, it will allow
specification of a static IP address, easily for wired devices and
with a simple workaround for wireless. But, on the other hand, some of
the Hub's settings need to be "constrained". If Charlie is happy to do
things without knowing why, it'd be easy to "talk" him through those
though the starting point is confirming that he does have the Hub3.

The first question, though, is does he want an extender or a router.
The former will be cheaper but it simply boosts the signal. A router
will cost more but will increase the wireless capacity (bandwidth) of
the network.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.