Old 14-12-2012, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT wireless question

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 10:49:28 -0000, Pete T wrote:

This really is simple actually.......

Agreed.

You buy (for example) a Netgear wireless extender .... see he

A lot of the trouble is that "marketing" get to make up the descriptions
of the kit. To me a "wireless extender" would take an existing WiFi
signal and repeat it, halving through put in the process.

http://tinyurl.com/d3tlxde

you plug the ethernet cable in wherever that is (irrelevant as to
circuits and fuse boards...) in the house and the *extender* broadcasts
that connection wirelessly in the vicinity....simple.

That to me is just a "wireless access point" and more to the point
*isn't* a description of the device you link to, a Netgear WN3000RP. The
WN3000RP *is* an RF repeater and as the OP doesn't have reliable WiFi in
his kitchen no use to him.

The Ethernet port on it is for connecting downstream devices not upstream
to the "router". Page 15 of the WN3000RP Installation Guide:

"3. Will the Extender work if I connect it to the router with an
Ethernet cable?
No. The Extender is designed to connect wirelessly to the router."

--
Cheers
Dave.