Old 14-12-2012, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT wireless question

In article , Baz wrote:

With luck, everything will Just Work. But I am FAR too experienced
to trust anything that is beyond the mainstream requirement without
checking that precise configuration myself - and that means the
precise combination of routers and configurations. Sorry, but modern
software really is that iffy.

Oh my god a Modem twitcher. Scary.

Indeed :-) I try to minimise my use of gimmicks, on the grounds
that life is too short - people often get taken aback by the idea
of a complete mobile Luddite also being a bleeding-edge computing
person, but the combination is not rare ....

My extreme modem nuttiness was two back-to-back HiPPi modems to
create a fast link between two dissimilar HPC systems.

I have been using Email since the 1960s, remote system working
since the 1970s (and heavily since the 1980s), and various forms
of dial-up (which includes broadband) since the 1970s. All such
systems start off being for masochistic experts only, gradually
reach the stage of being usable, then usable by non-experts, but
then degrade as more and more gimmickry is added.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.