Old 14-12-2012, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
The Original Jake The Original Jake is offline

Default OT wireless question

On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 12:30:00 +0000 (GMT), wrote:

In article ,
The Original Jake wrote:

I said that I wouldn't post, but this is a new point.

If Charlie has a BTHomeHub3, then, for example, it will allow
specification of a static IP address, easily for wired devices and
with a simple workaround for wireless. But, on the other hand, some of
the Hub's settings need to be "constrained". If Charlie is happy to do
things without knowing why, it'd be easy to "talk" him through those
though the starting point is confirming that he does have the Hub3.

Yes, but that is the sort of thing that needs a bit of expertise,
and is why non-computing people are likely to have trouble if they
just plug-and-pray.

The first question, though, is does he want an extender or a router.
The former will be cheaper but it simply boosts the signal. A router
will cost more but will increase the wireless capacity (bandwidth) of
the network.

My concern is far more about what the office router will do if it
is used by two devices simultaneously on the same Ethernet wire.
That is PROBABLY configurable, but I would have to check. Merely
adding distance isn't enough to support that. So Charlie has to
decide if that is necessary - if not, he doesn't need to worry
about it.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I've probably used the wrong words. Instead of "extender" I should
have said "access point".

My approach (avoiding the complications of subnets) would be to
configure the router as a wireless access point. Some routers have a
"client" mode which would allow the device to act fully as a router
but these tend to be pricey! (Sorry folks this is technical but Nick
should understand):

1) Configure router 2 to bridge or repeater mode. The procedure
depends on the router.
2) In this case, disable smart channel selection on the BT Hub, set
to channel 11. Set router 2 to channel 6. This will improve
performance by avoiding potential for interference. (I doubt Charlie
is that close to another wireless router in another house.)
3) Disable DHCP on router 2. It is possible to set DHCP using a range
that is within the DHCP range of router 1 but this adds a bit of
complexity to the setup.
4) Turn the BT Hub (not the modem), router 2 and all computers etc.
off
5) Connect the two routers via numbered ports (do not use the
uplink/WAN port on router 2).
6) Fire up the BT Hub and then router 2.
7) Connect to the BT Hub. In advanced settings, click Home Network.
This should show only router 2 (and the device you're accessing it
from) connected. Click on any of the blue text to open that
connection's properties and select "Yes" to always use this IP
address.

With this setup, the two routers have the same SSID. Essentially
router 2 is no longer working as a router.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.