Old 14-12-2012, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_4_] David WE Roberts[_4_] is offline

Default OT wireless question

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Fri, 14 Dec 2012 12:12:02 +0000, The Original Jake wrote:
Reading all the posts, I think some may be confusing a "wireless
extender" and a "router".

Quite, see my last post. An "extender" is no use as there is no useable
signal in the kitchen to extend, if there was a signal there wouldn't be
a requirement to extend/provide one in the first place...

A "router" is not required either unless you very loosely apply the
marketing use of the word to refer to *any* box that that passes traffic
from one interface to another.

All that is required is a wireless access point.

The first question, though, is does he want an extender or a router.

Niether an access point... B-)

The former will be cheaper but it simply boosts the signal.

No signal to boost...

A router will cost more but will increase the wireless capacity
(bandwidth) of the network.

How? A router doesn't have any wireless capabilty. Unless you are in
marketing, in which case it probably has a network switch and cable/xDSL
modem in it as well.

IIRC a router routes traffic between logical networks (different IP address
ranges).
Most consumer devices which are called 'routers' do include the routing
function.
You will generally get a NAT router which routes between the LAN and WAN.
It will also probably contain a wired hub/switch which interconnects wired
devices on the same logical network.
It will also probably contain a wireless hub/switch which interconnects
wireless devices on the same logical network and also connects these to the
wired network.
It may also contain a DSL "modem" which doesn't modulate/demodulate but
whatever.

So to keep the names simple and short these devices are generally called
'wireless routers' because they have both wireless and routing functions.

Oh, and don't get me started on what Broadband really is - as opposed to the
marketing mis-speak which has now become 'official' according to the
government.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)