Old 17-12-2012, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance[_6_] David Rance[_6_] is offline

Default OT wireless question

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 Charlie Pridham wrote:

Charlie what device have you actually bought?

I have now fitted a TP-Link wireless router. setting to give me
wireless broadband in the kitchen was very straight forward. However
when connected in the kitchen we can't see any of the other computers
in the house on the laptop.

When logged into my BT hub from the main house computer I can see all
the computers including the ones connected to the hub in the kitchen,
but from the network screen on the actual computer they are not
visible, Job for tomorrow I think as the machine in the kitchen is new
and has windows 8 (wish it didn't!) and I am struggling a bit to find
where they have hidden everything.

Windows 8 is a bit strange. It doesn't actually need to be a member of
the HOMEGROUP on earlier Windows versions.

Type VAULT on the startup page (that's the Metro interface but we
mustn't say Metro any more). You get two choices. Click on "Manage
Windows Credentials". Click on "Add a Windows Credential". Fill in the
name of the computer that you want to connect to together with the
username and password. You should then be able to see the computer
you've just added. Can't remember if you have to reboot or not.

David

http://rance.org.uk