Old 19-12-2012, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens
Stuart Strand Stuart Strand is offline

Default Would you buy a GMO houseplant that could really scrub your airof pollutants?

On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:43:14 PM UTC-8, David Hare-Scott wrote:
The air in your home may have more benzene and chloroform (two cancer

causing pollutants) than is allowed in the workplace. Every time you

park your car in an attached garage or take a shower you are adding

benzene and chloroform to your home air.

Please explain where the benzene and chloroform gets into my showerhead and

what concentration in the house air might develop from this practice and how

that relates to the safety standards.

The chloroform is in all municipal drinking water that has been disinfected with chlorine to prevent water borne disease (such as cholera). Chloroform is formed from the reaction of the chlorine with natural compounds (humics) are present in almost all waters. Chloroform is volatile, meaning that it comes out of the water into the air when you use hot water in your home. So you and your kids breathe this carcinogen.

Benzene comes from different sources in the home, not the shower (please read the FAQ!): cars parked in attached garages, fuel storage in the home, solvents, paints, even inks, woodstoves, and -- the big one -- second hand smoke.

Studies of volatile carcinogenic pollutants in the air in urban homes around the world including the US found levels that ranged into the regulated levels for benzene and chloroform and for formaldehyde (which our GMO does not degrade). for citations see the full proposal on our website. So most homes were below the workspace regulatory levels, but consider this: children and their adult caretakers spend nearly all of their time in these environments with these low level known carcinogens. These exposures are important..

There is a movement that says you can sell anything in the western world if

you invoke the boogieman of danger to children.

Our children are precious

This idea tells us to buy

special products to sterilise the inside of our toilet bowls and every

surface in our house and to have a machine on the wall that pumps out

perfume/insecticide/ bactericide all day at timed intervals.

Now I would much prefer to house full of plants to splashing chemicals

everywhere but I am doing neither until both the need and efficacy is

demonstrated. Your web site seems devoid of both.

Dear David, If you live with chlorinated water, when you shower you fill your home air with chloroform. If you store your snow-blower or lawnmower or park your car in your garage you "splash" benzene into the air that your family breathes. Please read our website, especially the FAQ, to really understand these important issues and how our new technology can provide some relief.