Old 23-12-2012, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_6_] Baz[_6_] is offline

Default Best way to boil water on allotment?

Janet Tweedy wrote in newsqDBs.1429210$Ak.28066
@fx24.am4:

My brother and his wife have got a fairly new allotment and put up a
shed in October. i was going to get them (for a christmas present) some
means of boiling water so they could have some tea and maybe a light.

Anyone recommend anything please?

Janet

I have seen allotmenteers using petrol generators, an electric kettle and a
lead lamp (an electrical lamp on a cable) . Most people have an electric
kettle and a lead light. A petrol generator can be bought cheaper than £50.

I have a device that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car/van. Takes 10
mins per cup. It does not provide light though.

The most convenient IMO is a camping gas stove. You would have to be
vigilant using it in a wooden shed. You can buy these in lots of shops and
are inexpensive. Lanterns are available too.

If you know how long your session at the allotment is going to be then the
most simple is a thermos flask. I prefer a fresh brew and use camping gas,
as riky as it can sometimes be. Plus I enjoy the experience for some daft
reason.

Baz