Old 23-12-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best way to boil water on allotment?

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:18:51 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have seen allotmenteers using petrol generators, an electric kettle
and a lead lamp (an electrical lamp on a cable) . Most people have an
electric kettle and a lead light. A petrol generator can be bought
cheaper than £50.

That sort of little stinky two stroke generators are not that powerful,
800W tops. You'd have to make sure your kettle was suitably rated low
power one.

I have a device that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car/van. Takes
10 mins per cup. It does not provide light though.

Yes, I have one as well, pays for itself quite quickly when not paying
£2.50 for a cup of coffee at service areas. They are quite a load though,
I'd be wary of flattening the car battery.

I can't see why you need a light on an allotment. Surely if it's dark
enough to need a light in the shed, it's also too dark to do any work?
Or are we thinking sheddie?

--
Cheers
Dave.