Old 23-12-2012, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_6_] Baz[_6_] is offline

Default Best way to boil water on allotment?

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:18:51 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have seen allotmenteers using petrol generators, an electric kettle

and a lead lamp (an electrical lamp on a cable) . Most people have an

electric kettle and a lead light. A petrol generator can be bought
cheaper than £50.

That sort of little stinky two stroke generators are not that powerful,
800W tops. You'd have to make sure your kettle was suitably rated low
power one.

I have not looked that closely at the wattage. I have seen steam from
their kettle though.

I have a device that plugs into the cigar lighter in the car/van. Take

10 mins per cup. It does not provide light though.

Yes, I have one as well, pays for itself quite quickly when not paying
£2.50 for a cup of coffee at service areas. They are quite a load

though,
I'd be wary of flattening the car battery.

Never flattened mine.

I can't see why you need a light on an allotment. Surely if it's dark
enough to need a light in the shed, it's also too dark to do any work?

We don't need to know why.

Or are we thinking sheddie?

Loads of things to do in the shed when it's dark outside. Sheddie or not,
some people enjoy it, I know I sometimes like to be on my own for a
change.
Even chatting with friends over a cup of tea. Whatever turns you on. Some
people like trainspotting or stamp collecting, even gardening.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Baz