Old 01-01-2013, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_12_] Billy[_12_] is offline

Default The Bright Side Of Global Warmth

In article ,
songbird wrote:

Billy wrote:
When will it be safe for the farmers of Fukushima to resume their
livelihood, and grow non-toxic crops again?

depends upon who and where.

one plan puts clean up at 40 years.

if i were an older person without children
it wouldn't make that much difference as
hot spots can be detected and cleaned up
before a garden could be used.

for younger people who are hoping to
have children i'd wait...

right now with the plant still being
a possible source of more leaks it is too
risky to be too close. i wouldn't want
to be any place within 10 miles in general
and probably further away if it were down
wind of prevailing winds.

still, the country of Japan with such
limited land area it would make more sense
to get on top of this sooner rather than
later to get the land back into production.

i'm a bit more worried about what has been
and might be still dumped into the sea. a
contaminated fish can swim a long ways before
being caught.

songbird

I was thinking of farmers, not gardeners, Bird. Yeah, ma, and pa may be
too old to worry about getting cancer in 20 years, but farmers sell to
the full spectrum of society from geezers to those who are pregnant. All
the released radiation will have a statistical effect on large
populations, and devastating effects on those affected, for generations
to come.

The newly elected prime minister of Japan, Shinzo Abe, said that he will
seek to build new nuclear reactors, which will be completely different
from those at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. I guess the
acid test is whether the private companies, like Tokyo Electric Power
Co., will take responsibility for insuring their nuclear power plants
for public liability, or will they depend on the government, as here in
the U.S., to cover their liabilities.

Been having line problems with my DSL, so while I have the opportunity,
I'd like to wish all you gardeners a Happy New Year.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or