Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default 2013 edible gardening

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Roy wrote:
On Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:43:27 AM UTC-7, Farm1 wrote:
Then yesterday, at dusk, I grab the compost bucket and head out to
my big
plastic compost drum and flip the lid back only to be confronted by
a very
large Eastern Brown Snake in the bin. I scream and back off quickly
Eastern Brown snakes are an edgy, nervy snake and highly venomous.

Snakes kill mice, rats and various other rodents. Just avoid
them...they won't stalk you are attack without provocation so I am
told. We only have garter snakes here
thank gawd for that.

As Fran said the Eastern Brown is not a wimpy snake,

Ain't that the truth!!!

they don't spend their
waking hours stalking humans but if surprised they stand their ground and
will attack if provoked, unlike many snakes that will get away as fast as
possible under almost all conditions. Nobody in their right mind will
provoke them but if you accidentally step on one or poke it with a hoe you
stand a chance of getting bitten if you don't retreat fast enough. If
they get you to a hospital that can give you antivenene in time you will
survive but I am told the experience is very unpleasant. If you don't get
there in time start repenting very systematically.

I am quite happy to leave snakes alone to do their thing in the
environment and the more rodents they eat the better. The problem is that
human activity is often attractive to them. For example if you have
chooks you have chook food. If you have chook food you have rodents. In
the Australian bush you are therefore likely to get snakes around the
chook house.

I've had at least 2 Tiger Snakes in my chook run. One I just let slide by
me as I froze. I had to kill teh other one because he was very snug under
the galvanised waterer and just looked at me when I lifted it up to swish
out the dirt that was in the trough.

He was in a nice air conditioned spot. I gave him 5 minutes to escape as I
dressed up in full snake killing mode. Silly sod was still there when I
went back so I ahd to deal with him. Of course Himself, my hero, was out at
the time wasnt' he?

I had a red-bellied black snake living under the ramp against the
house, this was a nice warm dry shelter for it. It didn't worry me most
of the time but when it scared the shit out of my guests who didn't have a
clue what to do, it had to go. People can't have a relaxing country rest
if all

they can think about is the famous dangerous fauna (that will be sneaking
into their room at night to carry them off along with the spiders,
crocodiles and drop bears).

LOL. Gotta worry about those darned drop bears! Shame about the Red
Bellied. I dont' mind them.