Old 02-01-2013, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Potatoes for roasting.

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Jan 2013 10:05:59 +0000, David Hill
wrote:

On 02/01/2013 08:56, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013 23:20:05 -0000, Bob Hobden wrote:

My wife does roast potatoes superbly, light golden colour, crisp and
soft inside.

Just like SWMBO'd produced this year with supermarket potatoes...

I was instructed to buy Maris Piper which I did. The variety of spud in
"White Potatoe" bags from supermarkets can vary from week to week and
may
or may not be variety that roasts well...

We tried 6 different varieties from 3 different shops , including a Farm
Shop, and they all did the same, went very dark brown. Ours don't, no
matter what variety, and neither did our friends, both of us just keep
them in bags in a frost free shed.
This is not about variety or the cooking it's about the difference in
how they are treated professionally.

What I want to know is how do the professionals treat their potatoes,
weedkiller, cold store, gas, heat treatment, washing with chemicals,
how?
What is turning the starch into sugar?

Old age.

Sorry to say I have no problems with shop bought spuds.

Glad to say? :-)
Nor us.
--

Martin