Old 02-01-2013, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Stuart Strand Stuart Strand is offline

Default Would you buy a GMO houseplant that could really scrub your airof pollutants?

Dear David (and Billy),

Sorry to be delayed in replying. I wanted to give you a summary of the latest research, so I had to bring myself up to speed with recent meta-analyses of the growing home air pollution literature. Also the holidays got in the way.

Anyway I have posted a short summary (pdf) with citations on the SuperPothos website (in the Gallery tab), titled "Levels and risks of indoor air pollutants"

http://d2oadd98wnjs7n.cloudfront.net...pdf?1357157806

http://www.indiegogo.com/SuperPothos/x/1889244?c=home”

In summary, the most common and highest level cancer-causing organic indoor air pollutants are 1,4-dichlorobenzene, acrolein, formaldehyde, benzene, 1,3-butadiene, acetaldehyde, naphthalene, acrylonitrile, carbon tetrachloride, and chloroform. In most or some homes, these pollutants occur in concentrations high enough to pose significant risk of cancer. Most of these pollutants can be degraded by the cytochrome P450 2E1 enzyme that we have expressed in lab plants and wish to express in SuperPothos enhanced houseplant.