Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden,misc.rural
Guv Bob[_2_] Guv Bob[_2_] is offline

Default Identifying Mushrooms

"Frank" wrote in message ...
On 1/1/2013 9:34 AM, wrote:
On Dec 31 2012, 9:42 am, Frank wrote:
On 12/30/2012 9:13 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Guv Bob:
..front yard mushrooms ... how to tell if they are edible or not?

Google "mushroom poisoning california".

Personally, I wouldn't take the chance.

I agree. They look like the edible kind but experts say mistake leads
to most mushroom poisoning.

Lot of mushroom houses where I live and mushrooms are cheap.

There are groups of knowledgable people in many areas that go out and
pick
wild mushrooms. That way you learn from people who know what they are
doing. There are also excellent books available that cover the
subjest. But
I would not rely on internet or DIY approach as one mistake and you
could be
dead or seriously ill. I pick wild mushrooms. I learned from my
grandparents.
I only know two varieties and those are what I pick. Anyone that is
interested
in pursuing this, I'd find a local group to learn.

I've seen a lot of you tubes on the morel which is said to be foolproof
and looked for them last year without finding any.

I heard one of those knowledgeable mushroom hunters on TV discussing his
hobby and he pointed to one mushroom that was safe to eat as long as you
did not eat it too often as it could destroy one of your organs, forget
which one. I'll leave this hobby to those guys

Good idea. A feller's got to protect his organ.