Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default Potatoes for roasting.

On 02/01/2013 10:38, kay wrote:
Bob Hobden;975703 Wrote:

What is turning the starch into sugar?

Starch to sugar is a typical cold weather response. But it's difficult
to see how you could keep your spuds colder and still have spuds!

Maybe commercial potatoes are kept at low temperatures for a long
period, rather than the occasional cool spell?

Certainly many supermarket potatoes are stored at inappropriately cold
temperatures. I once found myself chatting to a chap who used to work
with potato storage in big supermarkets. He said they are stored (too)
cold to help them keep longer pre-sale, but that perfectly healthy
potatoes are often frosted because of this practice. I have found many
supermarket potatoes to be frosted, causing much waste. Unfortunately,
it isn't always possible to tell if a potato is frosted until it's too late.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London