Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Potatoes for roasting.

"kay" wrote

Bob Hobden

What is turning the starch into sugar?

Starch to sugar is a typical cold weather response. But it's difficult
to see how you could keep your spuds colder and still have spuds!

Maybe commercial potatoes are kept at low temperatures for a long
period, rather than the occasional cool spell?

Well that is a distinct possibility, that they are keeping them in cold
storage from harvest, as apposed to, in a sack in a shed where the
temperature fluctuates with the weather. Do they dry them with heat perhaps,
and then cold store them?
It just seems odd that we have never experienced this problem with our own
home grown spuds but only all the bought ones (which we never usually use).
It can only be the way they are treated/stored commercially.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.