Old 03-01-2013, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Recommendations for seed potatoes?

"Spider" wrote ...

Hello everyone,

Last year I grew first early potato 'Arran Pilot', on Bob H's
recommendation, I believe. This year, I will grow them again, but would
like to try another flavourful, non-floury potato that offers reasonably
high yields. It would help if it were readily available so I can purchase
it at a local gc.

I was very happy with the Arran Pilot, Bob(if, indeed, it was you) and I
got a reasonable crop. I only grow in very large tubs, which affects the
yield, but because there is no slug damage, I enjoy the fulness of the
yield.

My father always grew 'Dunluce' (on a Sth Yorkshire clay/silt allotment)
and was always delighted with them. Alas, because I only need a few, I
don't really want to put in a big order with T&M who, infuriatingly will
not accept a potato order with a larger seed/decoratives order. I would
rather buy locally and be able to inspect the seed potatoes.

Also, if anyone can recommend a good second early potato, I would be
interested, thank you. If it can be left to make some early maincrop pots,
that would great but not an absolute necessity.

Not sure it was me recommending Arran Pilot as we don't grow them, I don't
think we ever have.
Our favourite earlies at the moment are Leontine, Amadine, Noisette, Inova,
and Printaline. Never been able to get them all at once only one or maybe
two of those each year and then only at the Hampshire potato day.
The second early we grow is the same as everyone else as we have tried
others and always come back to it. Kestral and if you leave it the tubers
will just get bigger but it won't keep as long as a main crop, good in the
kitchen too.
Maincrop we grow Victoria, have done for quite a few years and we also like
Romano but have not found any seed for a couple of years, may try Rooster
instead as we didn't like Setanta.
That said, because of the dreadful blight last year and the way a number of
gardeners on our allotment site have dealt with it (they haven't) we will
only be growing three of the Sarpo varieties (Blight resistant) this year
because I feel we would only lose our crop again otherwise. One of our
neighbours on the site grew Sarpo last year and they came through the blight
without any problems.
You may find this link useful...
http://www.charlton-park.co.uk/
if only to check out varieties but they do mail order too. They run the
Hampshire Potato Day.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.