Old 04-01-2013, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default help for some plants and ID

On 1/3/13 10:08 AM, zuhayr-123 wrote:
hi all.
ive posted here afew times now every time i have a question and iv'e
always got answers so im hoping this time will be the same.

first off... can anyone name me this plant (attached) ? my grandma has
had it since i was just 1 or 2, we had two of these one outside and one
inside but we left the outside one there when we moved houses. for some
reason since we moved into this house the leaves are starting to turn
yellow when they where a solid green before and id appreciate a name of
this so that i can gather some information on its habits, living
conditions and prefered soil type.

second. i have a small pine tree (7ft or so) and it in a large pot
(atleast 4ft high) i just want to ask, how much taller will it grow if i
keep it in the pot because it seems to have slowed down in growing, or
was that purely due to the winter ? and if i wanted to re'compost it
when i do everything else, is there any specefic kind of compost to use
?

and lastly....when i was again 1 or 2 ish my mother worked in a garden
centre.
up untill now there seems to be one flower that she still has in her
mind which she nick-named the 'dragon flower'. she named it this because
she said that the flower opens like a dragons mouth and that it had to
held by the neck of the plant which also made its 'mouth' open. she said
it was in many colours when i asked her, mostly blues and purples and
pinks but she cant remember its original name. IF SOMEONE COULD PLEASE
ID THIS PLANT FOR ME THAT'L BE GREAT. id love to have this in my garden
because my mum still wants it and still thinks of it.

I WOULD BE GREATFULL IF ANYONE COULD HELP ME OUT HERE BY
ANSWERING MY QUESTIONS.
thanks all in advance !!

The last question -- about the "dragon flower" -- seems to refer to what
we call "snapdragon". The botanical name is Antirrhinum majus. Its
flowers might be white, pink, red, yellow, orange, and maroon.
Commonly, it can grow to 2-3 feet. There are also dwarf varieties.

Where I live, we treat it as a winter annual although it is really
perennial. If it is planted in October and starts blooming before the
first frost (which is barely freezing), it will bloom all winter and
through most of the spring. It cannot survive our summer temperatures.

In areas of the UK where summer temperatures remain cool, it should
bloom through the summer and into the autumn. Without a severe freeze,
it might indeed be perennial. However, the plant is subject to rust and
is not really long-lived.

Regarding your first question, this newsgroup does not allow
attachments; so I cannot identify your plant. Regarding your second
question, I know nothing about potted conifers.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see