Old 06-01-2013, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Recommendations for seed potatoes?

"Sacha" wrote

Bob Hobden said:

"Sacha" wrote
I've just seen a newspaper ad for a variety called Swift which claims to
give the earliest crop. I've never grown them so am just passing on the
info.

Swift vies with Rocket to be the earliest of earlies.

How is it for flavour, Bob? We'll be off to Tuckers soon!

Never grown them but my books say...

Swift.. Suitable for showing. Short foliage makes this the best variety for
growing under polythene. Good disease resistance. Yield slightly higher than
usual. Oval shape, white skin, waxy texture, lemon coloured flesh. Use as
new potatoes.

Rocket... Producing huge crops of uniform, attractive white tubers. Has
partial resistance to white eelworm and full resistance to yellow. Good all
round cooking qualities. Exceptionally high yield. Round shape, white skin,
waxy texture, white flesh. Uses boil, bake, chip and roast. (find that hard
to believe unless they are left in the ground to mature)

Seems to suggest Rocket is the better potato, but as I've said before, with
potatoes it all depends on your soil. International Kidney/Jersey Royals
being a prize example of that.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.