Old 07-01-2013, 06:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Farm1[_4_] Farm1[_4_] is offline

Default soil testing

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Sunday, January 6, 2013 12:34:59 PM UTC-5, Nathan Heafner wrote:
Hello,

I have a large pile of ash from burning leaves, wood, limbs, pine straw
etc, and I've read that ash can be helpful to plants if my soil ph is not
over 7.5.

My questions is, how do you test your soil and what tools are used.

Im looking to test my soil soon and see some cheap and expensive testing
kits on amazon.

thanks

Nathan,
I am by no means an expert. That said, wood ashes are usually used for
the potassium content,
I've always heard and read that the primary use for ashes was because it's
similar to liming. That's what I've always used them for anyway.

This cite from the RHS might be of interest to the OP:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=621