Old 07-01-2013, 10:09 PM posted to rec.gardens
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default Good lucK David

David Hare-Scott wrote:
Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Farm1 said:

Well David, we've had the automated call from the RFS about
catastrophic conditions tomorrow so will leave here early tomorrow.
I hope all is OK for you and yours and from the maps I've seen you
might be in a better position than where we are.

I hope to never get one of those.

do people have underground fire cellars?
it seems that it would be hard to know where
to head for if you are surrounded by fast
moving fires.

Take care and stay safe and hopefully I'll be back reading once
tomorrow's foul conditions are over.

Holy cow, the lead story at the top of the hour on NHK World (from
Japan) was about the wild fires in Tasmania.

They had a record 41.8C there, the ABC weather said after a cold change late
today or tomorrow they could get snow. It's a hard land.

The danger continues for much of Australia. They were talking about
high temperatures of 42 deg C in Sydney!!!

Yes and strong winds as well. Most of the State is rated as fire risk
"severe" or worse, where Fran lives is rated '"catastrophic". There are 90
odd fires burning already and once the wind gets up in the worst areas they
are expecting ember showers to run 10km ahead of the fire front. The flames
can burn horizontally and leap wide clearings, fire breaks etc directly.
Under such conditions the firefighters can do nothing but save themselves
until the wind reduces.

oh jeeze, that'd be horrible. i hope
everyone comes through ok.

Hope the Australian rec.gardeners are all safe and sound and keeping
cool. As the spouse and I discussed yesterday, I don't plan to
complain about the cold weather this winter at all--hot weather is
far more dangerous. (And there's been all too much of that in recent
years.)

Amen

i'll keep hoping for good rains for you
too.