Old 08-01-2013, 02:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

That looks like an incredible lot of work, and a risk of some wicked
allergic reaction. I've not yet reacted to poison ivy, but know friends who
are super sensetive.

With poison ivy, I'm told not to burn it, as the fire releases the poison
into the air, and anyone down wind will have allergic reaction. Not sure
about poison oak.

You have courage, and a lot of hard work. And, you have my respect. Wonder
if the local municipality has chipper shredders to do this job?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Danny D." wrote in message
This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along
my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill
for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed
it up for proper disposal.

After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil
(my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if
the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to
stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.

Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

Here are 19 annotated pictures, taken sequentially.
1. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912409.jpg
2. http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912411.jpg
3. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912412.jpg
4. http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912413.jpg
5. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912414.jpg
6. http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912415.jpg
7. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912417.jpg
8. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912419.jpg
9. http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912420.jpg
10. http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912421.jpg
11. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912422.jpg
12. http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912423.jpg
13. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912424.jpg
14. http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912425.jpg
15. http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912426.jpg
16. http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912427.jpg
17. http://www5.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912428.jpg
18. http://www1.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912429.jpg
19. http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/...g/11912430.jpg

I didn't measure it, but this one plant is about 20 feet long
(or so), by about 20 feet deep down a hill - but I only removed
about 5 feet along the curb as I ran out of room in the bins.