Old 08-01-2013, 05:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
Danny D.[_2_] Danny D.[_2_] is offline

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with achainsaw?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 09:30:23 -0500, David L. Martel wrote:

Are controlled burns allowed in your area?
Remember that uroshiol will evaporate
so you'll need full face protection and breathing apparatus.

Hi David,

No burns allowed.
Plus, the smoke could kill my neighbors.

This is California in a high fire hazard high smog zone.
It's my understanding we can't even use a wood-burning fireplace
for half the year, but that's for smog reasons. So burning is out.

But chain sawing wasn't all that great either.
The chain saw splattered urushiol all over the place.
My hair was covered in wood chips, as was my face.
The rest of my body was covered, except at the wrists and
ankles and lower back (my shirt kept pulling up and the tangly
vines would lightly smack me in the back as I pulled on them).

I didn't want to use a chain saw, but I would have been
there forever had I used clippers - and I've been spraying
it for years - it's just too large for spraying.

Clippers would (eventually work), but even clippers won't cut
the 5-inch thick vines anyway - and simply pulling was
crazy (I tried that first) because all the vines are
intertwined.

I once rented a cultivator and tried to push my way through,
but the vines simply fouled the cultivator blades, and the
hardest part was unwrapping them without getting the
urushiol all over my hands (an almost impossible task).

And, now I have the problem with getting rid of it.
I labeled the bins, so I hope they take them on trash day.

So that's why I ask.