Old 08-01-2013, 06:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than witha chainsaw?

On 08/01/2013 09:31, Danny D. wrote:
This weekend, I needed to remove a poison oak plant along
my property but the plant was too big and too much on a hill
for spraying; so I cut it with an 18" chainsaw and packed
it up for proper disposal.

After just two hours, I was covered in the poison oak oil
(my clothes came out of the wash all streaked black as if
the kids had taken a black marker to them) - but I had to
stop as the two recyling bins were jam packed to the brim.

Since I still have a few more poison oak plants to remove,
I'm wondering if you outdoor experts have a better way than
what I'm doing for removal of a poison oak plant from your
property? (The last picture is of me washing up!)

We are very fortunate here in the UK to not have anything remotely as
bad as poison oak/ivy. I wondered, though, if you could find the main
trunk(s), would it be possible to pull it out with a chain attached to a
truck (winch or tow it). That would avoid a lot of cutting with a
chainsaw when the plant is alive, and spreading of the poisonous sap.

--

Jeff