Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
Danny D.[_3_] Danny D.[_3_] is offline

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with achainsaw?

On Tue, 08 Jan 2013 13:52:16 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

A lot of farmers in this rural community kill poison ivy and poison
sumac by applying a goodly quantity of rock salt at their base

I like the idea of rock salt as it must be cheaper than the $100
containers of weed killer that I'm buying today (2.5 gallons each).
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/11915886.jpg

This web site explains the NaCl concentration for weed killer:
http://homeguides.sfgate.com/rock-sa...nts-56853.html

While the NaCl appears to be effective, that page also outlines the
major problem when it's applied on a hillside where my plant resides.

Plus, I still need to manually remove the dead plants, which are
(almost) as toxic dead as they were alive - at least for the
foreseeable future.