Old 24-04-2003, 12:08 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] soil

In a message dated 4/23/2003 11:29:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I am still trying to simplify the what seems to be complicated concept of
soil. Would it be true if I were to say that in every soil mixture, there
needs to be some kind of grit, for good drainage, mixed with some sort of
organic OR inorganic soil for water retention?

Your basic understanding is correct.

Everyone who does Bonsai for very long comes up with a soil mix they
favor. I think it depends upon a number of factors.
1. I think the most important factor is how you care for your trees.
How often and how much you water. Indoors or out.
2. Another factor, not necessarily second in importance, is the
species of the plant. Some species will grow in just about anything, others
are very particular for good growth.
3. Stage of development matters. A fast growing young tree might want
a different soil than a slower growing mature tree.
4. Your climate and weather conditions must be considered when you
think about how to care for your trees. The hotter, dry areas of California
will need a different soil than the wetter, cooler areas.
I am sure there are other factors and we have done this before on the
list, with members adding to this list or developing their own.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++