Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 03:32:55 -0600, wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 20:55:49 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

A lot of farmers in this rural community kill poison ivy and poison
sumac by applying a goodly quantity of rock salt at their base

I like the idea of rock salt as it must be cheaper than the $100
containers of weed killer that I'm buying today (2.5 gallons each).
http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/...0/11915886.jpg

Hey, I'n going to give the rock salt a try. It's cheaper than diesel
fuel too, and probably is safer for the environment.

I buy water softener salt at Lowe's, 40 pounds/$4... rock salt costs
even less. The salt does no permanent damage and in fact the critters
use it for a salt lick. After about a year the salt dilutes from
precipitation as though you never placed it there.