Old 09-01-2013, 04:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with a chainsaw?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013 06:44:40 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 01:17:40 -0500, Nil wrote:

Ever since then I've been VERY sensitive

When I first bought the property I live at, which is covered in Pacific
Poison Oak, I researched the Internet for weeks, trying to assess my
enemy. (Never underestimate your enemy when it's poison oak!)

One thing I learned is that the delayed cell mediated immune response to
urushiol is such that NOBODY is ever (truly) immune.

Sure, you might not get the rash this time. Maybe not next time. Maybe
not the next. Or the next after that. But, the physiology of the body's
immune response is such that everyone 'can' get it at any time after the
first exposure. Which is exactly what you found out!

What I do, by the way, after a severe exposure, is, instead of buying the
expensive IvyBlock/Technu/Zanfel/Prednisole regimen, is the following:

Yes, which is why I never play with poison ivy. One summer I had the
kid clean up some vines in the back yard. Nothing I hadn't done but I
didn't recognize the PI, either. I have never had a reaction to PI,
though I've never been one to tempt fate. He got a little rash but my
wife just touched his clothes, taking them from the floor and putting
them directly in the washer, came down with blister from head to toe.
She was one hurtin' pup for weeks.

Some time later I hired a handyman to cut down a tree by the road. We
knew it was loaded with PI, but he said it didn't bother him. Well
maybe it never had, but it sure did that time. He was in the
emergency room shortly after. Did I say that *I* didn't play with the
stuff. ;-)