Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,ba.gardens
Danny D.[_3_] Danny D.[_3_] is offline

Default Is there a better way to remove a poison oak plant than with achainsaw?

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 19:01:11 -0500, David L. Martel wrote:

I hope you are using Ivy Block or something similar.

Heh heh. (I think) I may be a bit different than most people, partly
because I'm often literally slathered in urushiol laced sap, so I'd be
using gallons of those expensive cremes.

Of course, even with long-sleeved shirts, I still get rashes on my face,
ears, neck, wrists, hands, and ankles (I never can figure out how the
ankles get it, but they do).

Those expensive solutions (ivy block, technu, zanfel, etc.) are for
governments who can afford overpaying for them or for people who use only
a little bit, who also can afford the outrageous prices they charge.

Me?

What I use (as much as I need) is pictured he

IVYBLOCK:
After researching how Ivy Block came about (firemen didn't get poison oak
in their their arm pits which had deodorant containing bentonite), I
picked up that bag of bentonite clay from a well driller.

TECHNU/ZANFEL:
After researching how the $40/ounce spermicide-laced polyethylene-grit
detergents worked, I came up with 22 cents/ounce Dawn dishwashing liquid
as my affordable alternative, which I slather on with wanton abandon.

In addition, I just learned from this patent about a NEW SOLUTION!
- United States Patent 4,594,239, June 10, 1986,
- Method for neutralizing offensive chemicals
- http://tinyurl.com/ah7myn3

This solution (which also reputedly works for skunk stink) is essentially
a weak solution of a chloramine (such as the pool chemical trichlor) and
a weak solution of a wetting agent (such as rubbing alcohol or acetone).

This is good news because Ivy Block (and my bentonite substitute) only
works BEFORE exposure; and Technu/Zanfel mostly work best within 15
minutes of exposure (for the most part) ...

But, this cheap solution of, essentially, bleach + alcohol, can be rubbed
on my face, hands, wrists, neck, ears, etc., every 15 minutes while I'm
working!

I'm not one for old wives tales - so I have to experiment personally with
this patented idea - but the fact it has a patent is a good thing because
it must be vetted somehow with experimental results.

I wonder why I've NEVER SEEN THIS solution in the web searches to date???